Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Everyone should have one of these...

Last night I awoke (to be perfectly honest it was this morning, early, very very early - to me) to that sound that your kids make when you know they are going to throw up.

Different sounds for different kids - and typically they are still in denial about the actuality of the act - accompanied by a silent whine.

In Elle's case, she waveringly cries out, sniffs, yawns and cough-gags.

I am instantly sitting up - reminiscent of my days as a wrestler when my core responded on command. So I like to think that it is instant, but it probably takes me a few seconds - 10 - to get upright or up right as the case may be.

Jamie calls for The Bowl. A large red popcorn bowl that we use for catching the stomach leavings and depositing them in the main.

So I hurdle the laundry baskets, stacks of books, elliptical and other sundry items - down the hall through the kitchen, pantry (its still dark) fling open the door, snatch the wrong red bowl, put it back, grab the right one and make my way back to the room.

Elle has held her ground quite well, until she sees the bowl, and in a Pavlovian way - she lurches as I hoist her and the bowl away from the bed - and it happens.

So I am holding her, the bowl, her hair and trying to rub her back (she's asking for this in between episodes). The bowl gets a workout. And when she's finished with round three, I ask if she's okay.

"Maybe I can have some Sprite now Dad."

Get yourself a good puke bowl.

Life is brilliant.

9 comments:

bugicidal man said...

Our puke bowl is an old silver mixing bowl. No matter how much that puppy gets cleaned we will never use that to eat out of. Good job catching the body juice at such an early hour. We have an old broken carpet cleaner that still vacumms that we keep around cause nothing is nicer than just having a small residual clean up job (with most of the "yuck" sucked up).

sweetlissybug said...

You have made me laugh today. Thank you so much! Our puke bowl is pink by the way. ;)

Brigham said...

As Paul Miller put it....it's leavins, not leavings.

Brigham said...

We use the small sized drywall compound bucket. Perfect size with a convenient carrying handle.

Bethany said...

Good post:) We always used one of the plastic trash cans around the house-- that way, my mom knew that it'd get a nice cleaning (which it probably needed BEFORE the puking) once we were done...

Grammy said...

We always called the puke bowl "the throw-up pan." A nice big round tupperware. Poor Elle. Hope her Sprite helped her lurching tummy feel better. I really hate it when they throw up in the bed. It is the worst! I am not good at that type of clean up. I am gagging the whole time!

Wendy said...

Poor Elle. We have a puke bowl too. Vomit is one of the hardest parts of parenting in my opinion. I do not handle it well.

Darin said...

That post was AWESOME! Such memories! I'm with Andrew; a large, silver mixing bowl.

z0n3d1n said...

Well written post. We have always found the toilet to be the most reliable way to handle vomit. Nobody throws up on the floor or in the bed, since that person would be required to clean it up....