Monday, May 24, 2010

media fast

I recently issued a challenge to the sr ym - coincidentally one of the most courageous group of men i've ever had the honor of serving with - to fast from all forms of media.

Not from technology.

From media.

For two weeks.

I engaged in the same.

This is my report.

It. Was. Liberating.

My thoughts are now my own. I am not tied to a news agency, defined by "my shows" or scheduled around what's on or off. I don't miss anything. Put another way, I was missing getting things done, engaging my friends, getting to know my children, reading good books.

Let me say that again...reading good books. That was for you Orion - my twin.

Media fasts aren't for everyone. Nor are good books. Hat tip to Deland for his idea. He's one creative cat.

Don't bother asking me what's going on. I no longer read 10 blogs a day, check 5 international headlines, tune in to 3 radio programs. My ear buds are reserved for yard work to drown out the hum of a lawn mower.

Sometimes it gets real quiet, and I find myself thinking about what I want, when I want.

1 comment:

sweetlissybug said...

I love pretending to farm on farmville way too much. You are so brave. All kidding aside, I think I spend too much time on Facebook,and need to read more good books, too. You're so inspiring. I may have to try this. I'll just have to set an alarm to let me know when my crops are ready, or something. I wouldn't want them to die! :)